Book online or call 01287 669009


Commondale History

There is evidence of early history in a stone trod or footpath which crosses the moor and is said to have been laid by the monks of Guisborough Priory who had a church at "Colmondale" in the C12th at Skelderskew Farm. St Colman came from Ireland and went on to establish the church at Holy Island off the coast of Northumberland.

More recent, industrial history can be found in the pit shafts which were sunk behind the farmhouse in 1800 for the production of ironstone. The mine never got into production. Also, there are lime kilns up on the moor and the remains of a bleach mill where the wool from local sheep was taken to be bleached before being woven into cloth by farmers' wives.

Commondale's industry continued into the 19th and 20th centuries when, following the coming of the railway linking us to Middlesbrough and Whitby, a man called Pratt started a brick works in Commondale. Today, the pottery and bricks produced up until the late1950's are collectible.

Visitors are likely to find lots of evidence of Commondale's agricultural and industrial history if they are interested. There are many books which have been written locally, there are pieces of brick and pottery to collect and tales to be told by some of our older residents.

The lime kilns at Commondale.

The lime kilns at Commondale.

Looking inside a kiln.

Looking inside a kiln.

Local men from the Commondale brickworks.

Local men from the Commondale brickworks.

Availability checker





Short breaks may be available. Please enquire at info@fowlgreenfarm.co.uk